over the years.
Several brands of whiskey have been labeled
The only one known as "Acme
X" was sold by The Hannis Distillery of
Baltimore, MD. [Snyder
the unrivalled Mount Vernon and Hannisville Pure Rye Whiskies
Offices: 218 S Front St., Philadelphia., 50 Beaver St., New York,
Hannisville Office Martinsburg, WV"
The brand "Victor"
was registered with the US Patent Office, ca. 1895 .
It was registered to John A. Gill
of Philadelphia, PA. [Snyder
According to the Snyder brand database, the business
was begun in 1832 by J. A. Daugherty (Dougherty?). Thomas H. Gill
ran it from around 1844 until his death on 2/15/1894. John A. Gill,
a Philadelphia native, then took over. The business premises,
located at 840 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia (about 1Ĺ miles from
Hannis' offices) were 3 stories, plus basement, 30 x 128 feet in
area. It's not inconceivable that whiskey was not actually distilled
at this location.
directories originally list the company as Thomas H Gill
(1870-1894), then Thomas H Gillís Son (1895-1898), finally Thomas H
Gillís Son (John A Gill) from 1896 to 1918.
Hannis' own claim of "Victor" as being one of their brands, we have
found no reference to any connection between this company and the
Hannis Distilling Company.
The brand "Tidal
Wave" was registered with the US Patent Office,
ca. 1906 .
It was registered to Edward Weil
of Houston, TX. [Snyder
We were unable to locate
any information at all concerning Edward Weil and a brand of whiskey
called Tidal Wave. Other than Hannis' own claim of "Tidal Wave" as
being one of their brands, we have found no reference to any
connection between this Edward Weil and the Hannis Distilling
Interestingly, the Snyder reference database shows the brand "Mount
Vernon" itself as also having been sold by Forster,
Muller & Co. of Baltimore, MD
That company existed for only five years, from 1883-1888, and used, in
addition to "Mount Vernon",
the brand names, "Allston Club",
"Atlas", "Elevator", "John A Bates", and "Wilson."
Their business address is given as 38 South Street
(1885-1886), 44 South Street (1887-1888)
The following is a
transcription of the Hannis Distilling Company's entry in the journal,
"City of Philadelphia - Leading
Merchants and Manufacturers", published in
1886 by the Historical Publishing Company, New York, Philadelphia, and